Monday, October 02, 2006

Rally Back: Chapter -2

"Roger! Where are you? We're waiting for you. You've been making me crazy!"

Tina wasn't holding anything back. If the beach had been crowded as it would have been on a summer day, everyone would have turned to look, or at least listened intently and discretely. Today I think only the seagulls took notice. Tom and I looked at each other and Tom rolled his eyes. I gestured with my head that we should move away a little and give Tina some space, but the way she was carrying on, space wasn't going to keep us from hearing.

"You're where? That can't be. We've been chasing you all day." Tina looked perplexed, more so than we'd come to expect.

"No, I'm not in New London. I'm on Cape Cod, waiting for you to show up." She turned to look at us and was frowning with confusion.

"Sailing?! Sailing?!! But you were supposed to be on this stupid rally today. The entry list has your name on it."

"Omigod! Do you mean you aren't with Kevin?" Tina seemed a little slow to catch on. But I was intrigued. We'd pissed away half the day, and of course any chance of doing well in the rally, to find this guy and now it turns out he was apparently off sailing somewhere all day instead. No wonder he hadn't been answering his cellphone. But how was Tina going to handle this?

"Roger, I can't believe you put me through this." Tom's eyes rolled so far back into his head that it looked like he didn't have pupils.

"Roger, who is with Kevin?"

"Betty. Who is Betty?"

"His wife? That idiot? No wonder they got lost. That fool couldn't navigate her way out of a Ladies Room."

"Well, now I know a lot about navigating. I've been watching Peter and Tom for the past couple of hours, that's how I know. And Tom is really good." Tom didn't roll his eyes at that one.

"Tom and Peter are these two wonderful guys who helped me find you. Well, we thought we were about to find you. And then, then you show up in New London. I can't believe you are in New London. Roger, why aren't you here?" She was changing color, so to speak. She'd gone from angry at his unexplained absense to somehow sad that she was separated from the guy she'd dumped only the night before.

"Roger? Will you come back to me? I want you back. I've been miserable not knowing where you were all day."

"Uh oh," I thought. This is turning in a direction that smells of schizophrenia. Tina seems already plagued by neurosis, so another psychosis is like putting icing on cheesecake.

"Roger, there's just one thing. You have to stop looking at other women."

"No, I mean it. Aren't I attractive enough for you, Roger?"

"She makes a good point." says Tom. I grab Tom's arm and gently ease us away from this continuing drama, still not fully out of earshot of this fascinating interchange.

"I can't help but wonder how this day started out for Tina. Did she wake up with an overwhelming need to see this guy and apologize for trashing him last night, or did she call him this morning to trash him some more, and when she couldn't reach him, she got concerned about him?"

"My money," responded Tom, "is on the latter. What about you?"

"I'm undecided. She like the wind. One minute it's blowing from over here, and the next it's coming from over there. I think she's suffering from a defective regulator, biologically speaking."

"Are you thinking blown gasket?"

"Nah, that would be fairly consistent. I'm thinking something more like a low transmission fluid level. You know, just difficult some of the time, but a real annoyance often enough to make you crazy, and eventually very expensive to fix."

"I once had an old Plymouth that had a sticking throttle. Is that what you mean?"

"I think you nailed it, especially if it ever caught on fire."

"It smoked a lot."

"Good enough. So our Tina is a cranky old... What year?"

"It was a '63 Belvedere."

"Ooh. Seriously ugly car. Maybe it's not a Tina. Did you ever have a Jaguar that caught on fire?"

"No, but I see where you're going. So Tina is the human equivalent of a British sports car. Good looking but unpredictable, and volatile. Aston Martin?"

"Lotus, I think. More fragile than even a Aston Martin, but racier."

"Gotcha. Speaking of Lotus Tina, what are we going to do with her?"

We turned to watch Tina. She was still visibly animated, but there was a transformation underway. Her gestures were less severe and her tone was softening.

"I think we're witnessing a conversion, my friend, Tom," I said. "She looks like she's headed for a reconciliation."

"I don't care. She's probably more entertaining when she's pissed off. A happy psychotic is a dull psychotic."

"Let's see if we can get her moving. Hey, Tina," I yelled, "Can we wrap this up?"

Tine turned and scowled at first, then seemingly realized that we were not some irritating onlookers, but were instead her ride home.

"Roger, honey," she said into the phone, "Can you hold on a minute? Thanks, sweetie."

Turning to us again, the light side seemed to triumph over her dark side. "Can you two wait a couple minutes? Roger and I are trying to work out some stuff."

"Tina," I said, "It's been a really interesting day, but Tom and I want to get it over with. Please tell Roger that you'll call him back as soon as you get back to your car." I wondered if this would set her off, but she stared at me for a moment and put her phone to her ear.

"Roger, can I call you back in a few minutes? Okay. Don't disappear again."

"Peter," she said, "Let's go then. I've got to get back to Roger before he regains his wits. I'm not at all sure he's convinced to come back to me."

"Gee, Tina," said Tom, "Why would he want anyone else? You're a real catch." Maybe Tina would buy this but I could hear Tom's veiled sarcasm. Tina didn't even seem to hear it.

"Everyone in the car," I said. "Sulu, chart a course to Tina's car."

"Aye aye, Captain," Tom responded.

"Scotty, give me warp factor 4." Being a fictional character, Scotty didn't respond.

We got back into the car and headed for Barnstable. It was a short hop to Route 6 and then about 20 miles south and west before exiting the parkway. Tina was almost silent, seemingly lost in thought. I tried not to imagine what was running through her mind. That could be scary.

By the time we got to Tina's car, which miraculously hadn't been ticketed despite being parked illegally for five hours or more, it was getting dark. We pulled up next to her car and we all got out.

I pulled the plastic Luger out from under my seat and twirled it on my finger. "Tina," I called to her as she rounded her car, "Do you want your gun?"

I sent a stream of liquid in her direction, hitting her in an arc across her chest.

She looked down at her shirt and then slowly looked up at me, without batting an eye. "I'm in a very fragile state right now. I feel like I could fall apart any minute. And you shoot me with dirty water. If this shirt is permanently stained I may have to have you killed. I may do it myself. I know your names. I'll find you."

Sensing a different personality at work, I responded, "We didn't give you our real names."

"I didn't tell you I'm a lawyer," she proclaimed.

"I didn't tell you I'm a professional hitman," said Tom.

I turned and shot Tom between the eyes with a stream of water. "You were a professional hitman."

"Bastard!" Tom gasped as he clutched his head. "How will my family survive?"

"You guys!" said Tina. "You've been great. You gave up your rally for me and you're still making jokes. Do you have any brothers? Single ones? Young single ones?"

"I've got a son," said Tom, "He's fourteen, so I'm sure he'd go for you. Of course he's swimming in hormones, so he's not a good indicator. I think he'd paw his grandmother if he didn't think she smelled like a pharmacy."

"Tom," said Tina, "You really know how to charm a lady."

"It's a gift."

"It's not a very good gift, Tom," I said. "Think about returning it."

Tina blew us each a kiss, got in her car, fired it up and drove away. We got back in the Honda and headed to Route 6 and back toward Orleans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home